Learning Tableau by Joshua Milligan
- Create meaningful data visualizations and dashboards in Tableau
- Analyze and display your data effectively using Tableau
- Extend the value and functionality of your data with this step-by-step guide
In the professional world, turning massive amounts of data into something that can be seen and understood is vitally important. This is where Tableau steps in. It has emerged as a clear leader in data visualization because it translates your actions into a database query and expresses the response graphically.
It also has the unique ability to do ad hoc analysis of millions of rows of data in just a matter of seconds with Tableau’s Data Engine. Tableau is a rare software platform that is intuitive and even fun to use, which also enables you to dive deep into answering complex questions about your data.
Starting with creating your first dashboard in Tableau 9.0, this book will let you in on some useful tips and tricks, teach you to tell data stories using dashboards, and teach you how to share these data stories. Practical examples along with detailed explanations of how and why various techniques work will help you learn and master Tableau quickly.
What you will learn
- Explore and analyze your data by creating basic and advanced data visualizations
- Fix data problems, enhance your analysis, and create rich interactivity using custom calculations
- Perform effective analysis by joining and blending data from different sources
- Enhance your visualizations with custom formatting, labels, and annotations
- Explore advanced topics such as sheet swapping, custom maps, and LOD calculations
- Create meaningful dashboards in Tableau
- Extend the value and functionality of your data
- Share your data story using story points and fully interactive dashboards
About the Author
Joshua N. Milligan has been a consultant with Teknion Data Solutions since 2004, where he currently serves as a team leader and project manager. With a strong background in software development and custom .NET solutions, he uses a blend of analytical and creative thinking in BI solutions, data visualization, and data storytelling. His years of consulting have given him hands-on experience in all aspects of the BI development cycle, including data modeling, ETL, enterprise deployment, data visualization, and dashboard design. In 2014, Joshua was named a Tableau Zen Master, the highest recognition of excellence from Tableau Software. As a Tableau-accredited trainer, mentor, and leader in the online Tableau community, he is passionate about helping others gain insights into their data.
Table of Contents
- Creating Your First Visualizations and Dashboard
- Working with Data in Tableau
- Moving from Foundational to Advanced Visualizations
- Using Row-level and Aggregate Calculations
- Table Calculations
- Formatting a Visualization to Look Great and Work Well
- Telling a Data Story with Dashboards
- Adding Value to Analysis – Trends, Distributions, and Forecasting
- Making Data Work for You
- Advanced Techniques, Tips, and Tricks
- Sharing Your Data Story